Saturday, April 23, 2011

Let's all get cheesy


How good is The Good Wife, right? I could watch episode after episode after episode (I'm halfway through the second season), ignoring the laundry that's spilling out of the basket (so easy to forsake) and the dog that's whining for attention (not so easy cos he's persistent and just so darn cute). I was kidding... about the dog. He watches the Good Wife with me though I don't think he's that fond of it.

So now you know. I've been up late most nights watching episodes of The Good Wife. And you know as well as I that a good TV marathon requires good snacks.

So, before I settled comfortably in front of the telly, I baked myself a few batches of one of my all-time favourite snacks: cheeses crackers.

Loaded with cheese (sharp, sharp cheddar), these crackers are buttery and so crunchy but not brittle. The They aren't pretty to look at but that's not important. They taste divine.

The ingredients for these crackers are few: cheese, flour (plain + bread flour) and butter. The seasoning, you can play around with. I added some smoked paprika and sea salt. You can add some dried herbs, cracked black pepper and add some parmesan with the cheddar.


Here's the recipe:
Ingredients
2 cups grated cheddar, at room temp
1 cup plain flour
1 cup bread flour
1/2 tsp red chilli flakes
1/2 tsp paprika
150g unsalted butter, at room temp
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat the oven to 180C.

Sift the flours and add the chilli flakes, paprika and salt and whisk to mix. Cream the butter and cheese till well combined. Add the flour mixture and mix with your hands to form a dough. Chill for 15 to 30 mins.

Roll the dough out till the dough is about 1/4 of an inch thick.

Cut into squares or rectangles.



Bake for about 20 mins or till the crackers are lightly brown and slightly crisp on the outside. It's ok if they seem a little soft in the centre; they will harden as they cool.

Sprinkle with some paprika and salt and you're ready to snack.

WARNING: These go down real easy so make time for the gym real soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails